Help for witnesses
Many witnesses feel worried about going to court, regardless of whether or not they were the victim of the crime. Victim Support runs the Witness Service in every criminal court in England and Wales to give information and support to witnesses, victims, their families and friends when they go to court.
- witnesses who are called to give evidence, including defence witnesses
- victims of crime and their families and friends attending court for any reason
- children as well as adults.
Witness Service staff and volunteers can give you:
- someone to talk to in confidence
- a chance to see the court beforehand and learn about court procedures
- a quiet place to wait
- someone to go with you into the court room when giving evidence
- practical help (for example with expense forms)
- easier access to people who can answer specific questions about the case (the Witness Service cannot discuss evidence or offer legal advice)
- a chance to talk over the case when it has ended and to get more help or information.
Like the rest of Victim Support, the Witness Service is free and independent of the police or courts. You can contact your local Witness Service directly.