Reporting the crime

If you are a victim of a crime, you may want to report it to the police. It is completely natural to feel worried about what will happen if you do. Perhaps you think the police will not care or that they will view the crime as too trivial. But the police deal with all sorts of crime everyday.

If you don't want to report the crime, you can still get support and help from Victim Support. Our service is confidential, and we will not tell the police what you say to us. We know how important it is to have access to support, reassurance and help and you can talk to us about any of your concerns about reporting a crime. There are also other organisations that can support you through the various stages once a crime is taken on board by the criminal justice system.

And if you are concerned about the idea of giving evidence in court, our Witness Service is on hand throughout to support you.

You can report the crime in different ways.

If you are a victim of violent crime and want to make a claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation, the rules of the compensation scheme require you to have reported the crime as soon as possible.

More on this topic

Related topics

top of page